About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

I Ran a 10K!!!

I should have posted this yesterday, but I'm pretty sure I spent most of the day thawing and napping after the race.


SO....the Tidewater Striders hosts a distance series each year that serves partially as tune up races for the Shamrock.  If you're running the 1/2 marathon in March (as I am), then you run the 10K, 15K, and 20K, plus a 14K in there too (different race though) instead of the regular Saturday group runs.


So I was excited and nervous.  I had a bad week and didn't get any workouts in.  First week back to work after 10 days off, and it was crazy.  Not the greatest excuse, but it is what it is.


On Friday, I drove out to Final Kick after my 430 dentist appt to pick up my race number and free water bottle.  I stopped for a solo dinner on the way home (just me and my Kindle).  Since it was just me, I opted for Thai - which is one of my favorites.  I feasted on a salad and some tofu green curry.  It wasn't as good as the restaurant closer to home, but still tasty. 


I went home, got some work done, and went to bed early.  I was too wound up, so it was after midnight before I finally fell asleep.


Alarm went off at 6...ugh.  And unfortunately, the Thai food was not a good choice...belly was gurgly and I really am not going to go into any more details than that.


I threw my clothes on (everything prepared the night before of course!) and left pretty much right away.  I stopped at 7-11 to fill up the car, grab some hot tea, a bottle of water, and a clif bar for breakfast.  It was funny - I had already pinned my race number on my jacket.  There aren't many people out at 7am on a Saturday, but the people at 7-11 were all really nice - asking me about the run, wishing me luck...it was pretty cool.


I knew about 5 people there from work, plus the coaches Greg and Joel.  Joel gave us quite the pep talk....he let us know that "the course sucked", that it was all wind the first half and all hills the second.  Oh the joy :)


It was freakishly cold.  19 degrees - plus whatever the wind chill was.  I wore long thermal underwear, pants, a long sleeve thick technical shirt, a t-shirt, two jackets, 2 pairs of gloves, and a hat.  And no.  I was NOT overdressed. 


We did a group picture (which I'm excited to see), and then we were off.  Quite honestly, the first mile really sucked.  My stomach was pretty icky, but it passed.  I took a few walk breaks, but according to my Garmin, I averaged at 12 min/mi pace, which is close to what I was hoping for.  I was very proud of the run - Greg even ran a bit of the last part with me for inspiration, which was nice too.  It gave me that last little push I needed to get across the finish line.


So after the run, I hung around for a few minutes, but then headed home.  I grabbed a salad from Moe's and then dethawed in the shower.  I fell asleep for about an hour and a half after that, which was nice since I usually nap like crap.  When I woke up, D asked me if I'd like to have lunch, so we hit the new Kelly's in Great Bridge, and I had a veggie burger and a beer.  The rest of the day was pretty lazy, which is just how I like it.


So today - bloody mary breakfast with a very good friend, and then grocery shopping.  Off to Hot Yoga, and then a relaxing evening of cooking!


Let's hope I'm better this week - and less afraid of the nasty cold weather.  Not really an excuse since I have a treadmill....but it's just not the same anymore.  I like running outside.  Inside...I feel kinda like a hamster.

No comments:

Post a Comment