About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Friday, January 29, 2010

I Knew on Monday that I was Hosed....

All day on Monday it felt like a Thursday...so by Monday night, I just knew this was going to be a long and painful week.


Work was insanely busy and with much drama - nothing I ever really enjoy.  I had more meetings than normal (so it seemed), so more working into the wee hours just to get things done.  I had several meetings that started at 7am, so I got up a tad earlier than normal so I could leave home by 6am.  That's really, really not my idea of a good time.


This week consisted of a lot of dining out and running around.  To show how up to speed I am, I found out on Tuesday that my kids had a 1/2 day yesterday and a full day off today.  Shows to me just how painfully unaware I am this week.  Fortunately (sort of), D took off today.  He was supposed to take the older kids and some of their friends to overnight laser tag in VB, but it got canceled due to weather.  So what did he do with his day off?  Certainly nothing that I asked, so I got to come home, take Rico to the vet (CONE IS OFF), do laundry, and make dinner.  Sometimes I really love life (insert sarcasm here).


This was also a week of good intentions.  I went to the gym on Monday, dutifully took my rest day on Tuesday (only because a friend told me to), took my running gear with me to work on Wedesday, and flaked off yesterday.  Today was a rest/crosstrain day, and I actually got my butt up at 515am and trucked to the gym.  Before you go thinking that I'm wonder woman - I made an appt with the Fitquest instructor for 615 am.  And as much as I am against anything happening too early in the morning - I never miss a meeting I'm supposed to be at :)


Fitquest is a thing at the Y that I'm hoping will finally get me motivated to strength train - something I desperately know I have to do.  It pretty much makes it idiot proof - there's about 15 machines, and the instructor sets you up electronically with machine settings and weights, you plug in a pin number, and everything interfaces to a computer.  The machine even tells you when you've reached your range of motion and if you're lifting or lowering too slowly.  My goal is 3 days per week.  Maybe even this early morning thing, but we'll see.  If I'm at the gym in the early morning, it means D is alone trying to get everyone organized in the morning - and organization is not his strong suit!


On top of the early morning gym venture - I actually ran into a guy from work there.  Great - nothing like seeing a co-worker at a ridiculously early hour with curly bed head and yesterdays smeared mascara.  I'm sure my image is shot now.


Tomorrow was supposed to be the second race in the distance series.  That, too, has been called on account of weather.  It's rescheduled for next weekend, and I must admit that I'm glad.  The weather people are predicting we get between 8-12 inches of snow starting just after midnight and through Saturday night.  1 inch shuts this part of Virginia down.  8-12, forget it.  Watching everyone this past day, it's like they're preparing for the armegeddon.  The grocery stores and gas stations have been raided for supplies (fire wood, water, wine...the essentials).  I personally think it's funny, but at the same time, I'm not an idiot.  We don't have the resources here to deal with snow (plows, road ice, smart drivers), so I will not be dumb enough to go out and about if we actually get that sort of snow.


Our training plan has us running 9 miles tomorrow.  I'm going to go with the advice of the coaches, watch the weather, and switch my long run to Sunday if I think it will help me avoid the hamster-syndrome known as the treadmill.  The thought of running 9 miles is tough enough - running that far in place....pure torture.


As I'm finishing this, my 6 year old comes into the green room (where we have the computer, books, bar...the walls are green and we don't know what else to call it) to grab a piece of paper to "draw something important, like hypothermia".  I know this has nothing to do with training, eating right, etc - but cracks me up anyway. 


I imagine my posts this weekend will be all about cooking.  If I'm stuck at home, that's what I'll do (will help me avoid the treadmill too - especially if I use it as storage space for all the baked goods)...

No comments:

Post a Comment