About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!!!

I cannot believe that it's already 2010!  2009 was such a crazy year, and it went by so incredibly quickly.


Yesterday I went for a run with H at Oak Grove Park.  We were only scheduled for 2 miles, which is good since the park was a mud pit from all the rain the night before.  We ended up walking quite a bit to navigate around some of the nastier parts.  While I was a bit disappointed that our average pace was a 14 minute mile, I realize that I should give myself credit for even getting out there and sticking with it.


For breakfast I had a rice cake with sunflower butter and a banana.  I felt that I had appropriate energy.  The weather was chilly and foggy - around 42 degrees.  I wore pants, a long sleeve underarmour shirt, with a t-shirt over it.  This is apparently becoming my winter running attire.  I also wore a hat, but no gloves.  I was comfortable and not feeling under or over dressed.


After the run, I met a friend out for lunch and a few beers.  Veggie burger with hot sauce!  I munched on popcorn, edamame, and fig newtons the rest of the evening.  I stayed up until midnight, but was in bed by 1230.


I spent the past couple of days catching up on magazines that have been piling up (though I have 4 more to get through).  Two of them were running magazines, and there was an article about journaling.  Again - good that I'm writing things out - but I'm apparently missing a few things I should be jotting down.  I should be commenting not only on the weather, my diet, my attire, and how I feel, but my mileage, pace, time of day, etc.  So the rest of my posts will contain those.  No laughing at my snail-like pace...


Today was a Crosstrain/Rest day.  I have been more than aware that on these days, I have opted for the Rest part pretty much every time, and if I really and truly want to be a runner some day, I need to crosstrain instead.  So today is a new day - and a new year - and a new committment.  On my crosstrain/rest days....I am going to crosstrain instead of rest.  And with my new committment - today I went to a hot yoga class at Zen.  I normally go to Chesapeake Hot Yoga, but they were closed today.  Therefore, Zen got my business - and it was a great class.  The room was at 100 degrees, but they had fans going so I never really felt the heat.  The class was packed, and the instructor was wonderful.  She was appropriately energetic, gave great instruction, and worked with everyone on correct alignment.  She also had the best selection of music I've ever had in a yoga class.  Not the typical slow chanting music - but upbeat and funky - with songs from Jack Johnson and others that I didn't know, but it certainly kept me energized throughout the class.


Breakfast today was a mushroom/tofu/brown rice dish left over from last week.  Very yummy.  A bit later I munched on a few chips, but not many.  I had a hankering from something salty.  After yoga, I got home and started cooking (no surprise there).  So far today I've made 2 loaves of homemade bread and a batch of homemade rolls, cookies, Tofu Apple Spring Rolls, miso soup with udon noodles, and lasagna.  I'm exhausted, but everyone is well fed.  Between yoga and dinner (which for me was the soup and a spring roll), I admittedly had a few fig newtons and one of the chocolate chip cookies (vegan of course) I made.  Oh...and a couple mimosas.  I have to stop drinking my calories.


I'm a little nervous about tomorrow.  It's group run day - and we're scheduled for 7 miles!  I'm going to bed early tonight and am bringing my water-bottle-belt-thingy with me.  And snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment