About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!

In honor of this festive holiday, I am writing in green!  It also happens to be my youngest child's favorite color :)


Last night we did our traditional openning of the Xmas Eve jammies and a family game.  This year - BINGO.  We played three games for prizes.  First game - winner gets to open the first present (my son M).  Second game - gets to pick what to have for breakfast (me - made waffles and cinnamon/apple sweet brown rice).  Third game - picked the Xmas movie.  D won - went to blockbuster and we all suffered through the Land of the Lost, which was terrible.


Today has been a very nice day indeed.  We woke up around 8am - which (no laughing) is actually quite early for us.  Made some tea for me and coffee for D, and let the kids go to town.  The carnage lasted 20 minutes total.  It's amazing that weeks and weeks of fretting over what to get everyone is over in such a short time.  Overall, I think the kids were very happy.


After breakfast, I made snacks.  It was an eclectic combination of snacks - on the non-vegan side was some homemade sushi, turkey weenies in bbq sauce, and ranch dip for the veggies.  On my side, were vegan creamcheese pinwheels and samosas (thanks to the cookbook Vegan Lunchbox!) and sliced veggies.


Dinner is a combination of offerings again.  For the omnivores are ham, stuffing, broccoli w/cheese, and mashed potatoes.  For me (and I hope the rest of the family try it too), are a Baked Tofu and Mushroom dish and a green bean casserole - both compliments of Fat Free Vegan (see my link on the side of the page).  I've made them both before, and they are simply amazing.  Also making some whipped sweet potatoes and bussel sprouts.


I find if funny that every time D tries one of my dishes, he is surprised by how yummy it is.  I keep telling him - and everyone else when they express such surprise - that I don't eat bad food.  Being vegan can be very tasty as well as healthy.


On the exercise front, it is, afterall, not only a holiday, but a rest day on the schedule as well.  I'm sure my running around the kitchen from 9am until 9pm is doing something for the burn.  I'll be sure to check my body bugg later to find out.


So to everyone - happy holidays, and I'll report tomorrow after my group run - post food coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment