About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Cinnamon Rolls Have 636 Calories...EACH!!!

I have to say that shocked me.  You see, I made a batch of homemade cinnamon rolls for D to take to work the other day, so between what he took and what the kids ate for breakfast, there were none left over for me to have (probably a good thing).  As we were putting R to bed last night, she asked for cinnamon rolls for breakfast today - of course I said yes, so instead of sleeping in on my day off, I woke up when D did and started cooking.


They finished right when the cable guy showed up, and everyone happily gobbled.  And since I'm trying to keep track of all calories in and out via my bodybugg, I used my Mastercook program to plug in all the ingredients and tabulate the nutritional content (or lack there of) to see what the damage was.  HOLY...COW...that's all I could say when I saw the final totals.  I thought it was a mistake, but I suppose not.  What's funny, is it's from a vegan cookbook, so it's true what they say - just because it's vegan, doesn't mean it's healthy!


Fortunately (though only a wee bit), the icing didn't turn out, so I didn't glaze them this time.  That made the damage only 550 calories each.  I really...really should have looked that up BEFORE I ate one!


I made these incredible Tofu Apple Spring Wraps last night from the Vegan Lunchbox book.  Now those were not only incredibly tasty and magnificent....but only 67 calories each, and I was stuffed stupid after 3.  I also had them for lunch today, so at 415 pm, I'm still sitting at a total caloric intake thus far today of just under 900 calories.  Plenty for me to still eat a healthy dinner and snack, and not blow my total.  But I tell ya what - it'll only be on incredibly special occassions that I ever indulge in one of those cinnamon rolls again.  But I guess that's the point of treats.  Maybe next time I'll only eat half...


On the positive front, since I'm off this week, I can run at pretty much any time of the day I want.  A is 14, so she can watch R while I do a few things during the day.  It's a good way for her to earn a few bucks anyway.  I already did today's run, which means I can actually chill with the family tonight.  Aside from cooking this morning, I totally scrubbed the downstairs of the house, so not only did I get my run in already, I can actually relax and enjoy my evening.


It's 37 degrees outside, and I went for my run at 3pm and it was sunny.  I wore a long sleeve shirt, a t-shirt, pants, a hat, and gloves.  I think I dressed perfectly - I was a bit cold at first, but that quickly vanished and I was very comfortable. 


I did a brief walking warm up first before I started my Garmin up to track my mileage.  The first half of the run was pretty good, but my legs felt pretty leaden for much of it.  No pains or anything, just heavy.  I think my stomach was too full, even though I had finished eating around 145.  I've also decided that I very much prefer running at night.  It seems that my best runs - at at least the times I enjoy it the most - are either when I'm running with someone or running at night.  I wonder if it's because it's dark and I can't judge distance (my husband's theory), or if it's just something I've started looking forward to at the end of a long day.  When I run in the middle of the day (like I did today), it seems more like I'm doing it to get it over with.  I think I'll have to keep an eye on that as my training goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment