About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, November 9, 2009

So Much for Being Off Today

Okay, so just when I get this new resolve, life throws me a curve ball.  I have to work nights all this week, and sporadically over the next two (to support a big project).  So just when I'm trying to figure out how to fit it all into my busy schedule...my schedule changes.  So essentially, whatever rules I'm trying to formulate will basically get tossed out the window.


I was supposed to have off today to prepare for the switch to nights.  Instead, I had to go in for a 9am meeting (voluntarily), but the secretary (knowing I was on nights), paged the VP I was meeting with to tell her I wouldn't be in.  Oh well, meeting ended up happening, just later than planned.  I left the office around 1030 and went home to relax and play with the doggies.  I met D for lunch at Macaroni Grill (which is a misleading name, because they serve no macaroni and cheese that I could find!) and did fairly well unless you count the foccacia loaf that I wasn't smart enough to ignore.  There's just something about warm bread dipped in olive oil....but other than that, I chose the "Build Your Own Pasta" dish with whole wheat penne, spicy tomato sauce, and every vegetable they had available.  I ate about a third of it (darn bread) and brought the rest home.


When I got home, I really just wanted to take a nap.  Almost did, but realized I was quickly running out of kid-free day and should probably do something about that whole exercise thing.  I popped open my latest issue of Runner's World magazine and after 7 pages, felt the motivation I needed to lace up and hit the road.  I decided on an easy 2 1/2 mile run, and it felt great.  In the final stretch, my son's school bus passed by (and he even yelled Hi Mom out the window) - and (how cute is this?) he waited for me at his bus stop!  That's when I stopped the jog and we walked together the half a block home.


Good for me I ran today.  Bad that I skipped my 730pm hot yoga class and opted for a glass of wine and watching So You Think You Can Dance with D and the kids.  They had a healthy meal - baked fish, potato and cauliflower au gratin, and peas.  Me?  I had snacked on pretzels and hummus (you seeing a trend with these yet?) and a glass of red wine.  Since I ate lentils and tabouli for breakfast, at least part of my day wasn't totally lost in the eating dept.


So for exercise I give myself a B-.
Eating I give myself a C+ (darn bread...and failure to actually eat dinner).


We'll see how tomorrow goes.  Have to give a presentation at 930 and then come home and try and sleep so I can work a 12 hour night shift.  Oh, and the kids are off school the next two days, so they'll have to actually be quiet while I'm trying to sleep.  So don't judge me too harshly if I don't work out tomorrow.  I promise I'll try and walk the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment